?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

My desktop has been having overheating issues for a while now. I have to leave a floor fan sitting next to the open cabinet or else the CPU overheats almost immediately after starting up. Having now burnt out the motor on a floor fan in this manner, I am asking for help trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with this thing. The CPU is not overclocked, so far as I know. The motherboard temp is fine, and all three fans, including the CPU fan, are running properly. Anyone have any ideas what might be malfunctioning, so that I can try to replace it?

Comments

pez_minotaur
Jan. 24th, 2006 02:48 am (UTC)
dust contamination in the bearings for the fan could be causing the grease to thicken, you'll need to buy a new fan and try and control the dust in the area. Or the thermal conductive gel between the heatsync and the processor could be damaged or not properly applied. These are problems I've suffered with my tower in the past. Other than that I don't know what could be the problem.
curgoth
Jan. 24th, 2006 02:56 am (UTC)
Hmm. I blast the inside regualrly with compressed air, so I'm betting against dust. The gel thing sounds plausible, though...

Latest Month

September 2016
S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Tags

Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner