?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

My desktop has been having overheating issues for a while now. I have to leave a floor fan sitting next to the open cabinet or else the CPU overheats almost immediately after starting up. Having now burnt out the motor on a floor fan in this manner, I am asking for help trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with this thing. The CPU is not overclocked, so far as I know. The motherboard temp is fine, and all three fans, including the CPU fan, are running properly. Anyone have any ideas what might be malfunctioning, so that I can try to replace it?

Comments

corbet
Jan. 24th, 2006 03:10 am (UTC)
It's not the computer malfunctioning -- it's lightning bolts from the gods! Told ya not to flirt with their daughters! :P

More seriously, I know little 'bout the inner workings of puters, but could external power fluctuations cause this? Have you tried plugging it in elsewhere? If I recall correctly, your building's old enough that the wiring might not be entirely up to spec, or at least not up to the demands of a roomful of electronics. :) Just wondered since you mention the fan went toast too -- did it definitely die a death of old age?
curgoth
Jan. 24th, 2006 04:15 am (UTC)
Hrm. I have had power issues before... mebbe it is past time to get me a UPS. We do definitely have frequent power flips in the office...

As for the Gods-daughters, I totally didn't know they were semi-divine! Though, in retrospect, the aura of flickering blue and white light shoukld have tipped me off...
djinnthespazz
Jan. 24th, 2006 04:08 pm (UTC)
Totally past time to get the UPS.

This non-techie rolls her eyes at you. Uh, yeah!

Latest Month

September 2016
S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Tags

Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Lilia Ahner