- Steampunk photoshoot
- Much like recent glamourshoots - everyone get dressed up all steampunky and get pics taken, or, just come and take pics of those dressed up.
- Goggle making workshop
- I made my own steampunk goggles, and so can you! I would need to collect money for materials in advance for this one, so I don't go broke buying brass plumbing fittings. Depending on how many people were interested, I might need to find a bigger place than my living room to do this in.
- Waistcoat making workshop
- This one is really zingerella's idea; the basic premise being tht we all get together and learn how to make waistcoats.
- Steampunk tea/dinner party
- Get dressed up, and sit around eating and drinking in some mode.
- Steampunk ball
- Get dressed up, and dance! Rent some space somewhere, if we can get enough people, and be all anachronistically fancy.
I likely wouldn't try doing any of this until January at the earliest, most likely later than that.
Please vote in the poll below so I can gauge interest - for now, just assume I've picked a time that would work for you. :)
At the request of corbet; a quick intro to steampunk:
The basic idea of steampunk: start with the Victorian era. Add in a fetish for all gadgets clockwork, steam powered and generally brass and wood. Throw in airship pirates and Mad Science (Zap!). Throw in more emphasis on the "lower classes" and industrial type stuff than is traditionally present in your average goth neovictorian stuff (which also draws out the Marxist/Anarchist politics). Add in punk/industrial aesthetics, and a healthy tolerance for variance in what steampunk is.
As someone on a forum said "if there's no anachronisms, is just recreationsim!" The time period to riff off of is roughly from the beginning of the 19th century to just before WWI.
Some starting point links:
Brass Goggles Blog
Brass Goggles Forum
A Steampunk FAQ
I would attend a steampunk photoshoot
I would attend a goggle making workshop
I would attend a waistcoat making workshop
I would attend a steampunk tea/dinner party
I would attend a steampunk ball