- 24. All The Windwracked Stars by Elizabeth Bear
- This book starts with the end of the world, and goes from there. The thing I love most about Bear's writing is, I think, that all her characters seem like people I know - or people I would know, if my friends and I were post-human vikings. I am eagerly awaiting the next book in this series.
- 25. The Drowning City by Amanda Downum
- Pirates! Ghosts! Zombies! Wizards! My only regret is that Adam didn't get more time. I enjoyed the heck out of this book, and want to give Isyllt a big hug.
- 26. Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
- Fehhhh. My review: The Law of Uppercase, The Rule of Myopia, and Stickiness. Gladwell Uppercases a lot of Words. I found it Annoying after a while. His section on crime in New York (praising the Broken Window theory) is trumped by Freakonomics' coverage of the same topic, which presents data indicating that crime dropped off throughout America, even in places that weren't using the Broken Window method. OTOH, I found Gladwell's section on how fashion trends spread nicely complimented the material in The Rebel Sell - one covered how, the other why. I think I will wait before trying another one of Gladwell's books. Combined with the storm of negative press I'm hearing about SuperFreakonomics, I'm thinking a vaction from... whatever the genre of books is that includes Gladwell and the Steves is in order. Time to go gtet sick of Atheists instead!
- 27. Old Man's War by John Scalzi
- Scalzi's homage to Heinlein's Starship Troopers. Scalzi avoids getting mired in the political lecturing that ST is famous for. My main complaint was that the protagonist never seems to really make any choices, as such - the story sort of happens around him, with the situation and his moral character dictating the action. Still worth a read, and I will bet that the_nita would like it.
- 28. bonus: Shadow Unit Season 1 by a lot of people(ebook)
- !!!! Squee! An FBI procedural about scary mutants (sort of). It captures the magic of the early NCIS cast or Fringe. I am glad this isn't a real show, because if it were, it would be amazing, and then get cancelled by Fox halfway through seaosn 2.
Grr.: Seem to have messed up my jaw significantly - it's painful enough that I've gone through the tylenol-3s I didn't need when I got snipped. I…
Happy eleven year Anniversary, neeuqdrazil. If our relationship was a person, it would be in what, grade six? I still love you, my PSG.…
I feel like crap today, but I had a hell of a good weekend. Spent Friday night seeing Inglorious Basterds with neeuqdrazil. Very fun…